Our team is always seeking the latest news in the field of education. As advocates for a quality education for ALL students, we know we have to stay up-to-date on everything that’s going on in the education spheres of our nation…from the White House to the local public school district, from new legislation to the small acts of bravery and kindness made by a single teacher, from the milestones and celebrations to the hazardous injustices affecting many of our nations students.
This week, we’re focusing on corporal punishment and the benefits of integration. We hope you enjoy the articles we have selected!
Corporal Punishment Use Found in Schools in 21 States via Education Week
This article looks at the reasons why punishment rates for black students nearly double those for white students.
“Black students make up 22% of overall enrollment in schools using corporal punishment, but 38% of students receiving this form of discipline in the 2013-14 school year. By contrast, white students comprise 60% of total enrollment, but just 50% of students disciplined using physical punishment.”
A New Nashville School Is Integrating its Students, Eliminating Suspensions — and Acing the State Tests via The 74 Million
The 74 Million takes a look at this new Nashville school that is integrating students and providing a diverse education.
“Since its founding two years ago, Valor Collegiate Academies, which has expanded its two schools into 7th grade this school year, has a caught the attention of educators and parents across the region for its high student test scores and integrated classrooms. Valor is also distinctive for its emphasis on social-emotional learning and restorative justice at a time when suspension rates and the racial competency and diversity of charter school teachers are being questioned at high-performing networks across the country.”
74 Interview: Prof. Chris Emdin Busts Classroom Myths, Talks ‘White Teachers in the Hood’ via The 74 Million
Professor Chris Emdin talks about why teachers should be “cultural anthropologists” to better reach kids of color.
“In his book, Emdin espouses what he calls a “reality pedagogy,” which focuses on gaining a cultural understanding of urban students within their social spaces and then applying it to academics. For teachers, this could mean anything from visiting a Baptist church on a Sunday to see how a preacher engages the crowd to hanging out at a local barber shop to observe the quick-flowing banter. Emdin, who is a Brooklyn native and graduate of public schools, says his own life experiences as an urban student inspired him to teach teachers how to approach their jobs differently. His observations carry particular weight at a time when the nation has been forced to re-examine its racial divide and what underlies it.”
Did any of these articles particularly speak to you? We would love to know your thoughts! Let us know in the comments below: